V. General Discussion Questions
- Whitney’s family is not available to her for a variety of reasons. Can your family be present but still unavailable? Is it a survival skill that she has found other sources of support? In this way, does Whitney accept she is responsible for creating the best situations she can for herself?
- Whitney does not wear a watch but believes life is all about timing. Is this a contradiction? How does this relate to her personality?
- Whitney sometimes has to go with her gut instinct, even when there is evidence to the contrary. What does that say about her? Is it easy or hard for her to do?
- Whitney’s friends are all unique in their own way. How important is it for her to have good friends who accept and help her? Does this increase once she learns she has a macadamia nut allergy? Can friends be important for survival?
- Reid has to “find” Whitney’s empathy since she has buried it deep in her mind. Why would she have done that? Why is empathy so important for the survival of the human race?
- Dr. West is an intellectual while Mr. Parks is a realist. How well do these two characters bridge theory with reality? Do you agree with Mr. Parks that everything is a lesson?